Why the Bucs should keep Jameis Winston as their quarterback
This is the second article in a series on the Buccaneer quarterback Jameis Winston as we look at all the scenarios involved with the Bucs quarterback.
This article looks at why the Bucs should bring back Winston as their quarterback for the 2020 season.
The Buccaneers should definitely bring back Jameis Winston back for the 2020 season.
Put the franchise tag on him and let’s see what he can do in year two under Bruce Arians.
Arians is known around the NFL as the quarterback whisperer. If Bruce can’t fix him, no one can.
No one will argue Winston’s pure raw talent. it’s the turnovers and his careless decisions with the football that drives everyone crazy including his coaches.
“There’s so much good and so much outright terrible.” That is a quote from Bruce Arians talking about Jameis Winston after the game against Atlanta.
Here are five reasons that the Bucs should bring Jameis Winston back as the starting quarterback in 2020.
1. Winston is working with one of the best quarterback coaches in the NFL in Bruce Arians.
One of the main reasons that Arians came out of retirement was because of his relationship with Winston and the fact that he believes that the mistakes that Winston continues to make can be fixed.
Arians improved quarterback Carson Palmer’s game while in Arizona. In Palmer’s first year under Arians, he threw 24 touchdowns while throwing 22 interceptions.
In his second year which was cut short by a torn ACL, Palmer threw 11 touchdown passes while throwing just three interceptions in six games.
In year three, Palmer threw 35 touchdown passes with just 11 interceptions.
Could we see the same improvement in Jameis Winston’s game in year two with Bruce Arians? Absolutely we could.
2, Winston is only 25 years old, and has his best football ahead of him as he is just entering the prime years of his NFL career.
3. There is no free agent available that could come to Tampa and would be a better fit for this team than Jameis Winston.
The rumor of the day right now is that Phillip Rivers could possibly be coming to Tampa and it has been confirmed he has moved his family to Florida.
Rivers is 38 years old and struggled this year with the LA Chargers throwing 23 touchdowns with 20 interceptions.
The Chargers were picked to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl by many so called experts but finished a disappointing 5-11.
Rivers would get killed playing behind this offensive line in Tampa. He is very slow, is not very mobile, and has to have a good running game to accentuate his game.
4. Winston can make throws that most other quarterbacks just can’t make. The 24 yard pass to Breshad Perriman with 11 seconds to go in the second quarter of the season finale against the Atlanta Falcons is one of the prettiest passes you will ever see, and was one of Winston’s top passes of 2019.
5. Winston can put up some incredible numbers. This season, Winston became just the 8th quarterback in NFL history to pass for over 5,000 yards in a season as Winston finished with 5,107 passing yards.
Winston is also the only player in NFL history to have two consecutive games throwing for over 450 yards and four touchdowns.
He is the all-time passer in Buccaneer history with 19,737 passing yards. He is the leader in touchdown passes with 121.
6. He has a great work ethic. Winston is one of the hardest workers on the team. He is the first one in the room and the last one out on many occasions studying film and trying to polish up his game and get it it to where it needs to be.
He also puts in additional time after practice working with his receivers and working to eliminate the turnovers.
Arains has said on numerous occasions that Winston is one of the hardest workers on the team and works hard on improving his craft.
7. The majority of the turnovers where not the fault of Jameis Winston. His coach defended him time after time after games this season chastising the receivers for running the wrong route or not making a good effort to get in position to catch the ball.
Winston was under a lot of pressure due to the tights ends missing blocks and poor blocking by the offensive line.
A lack of a decent running game meant that Winston had to put it up more than any other quarterback in the league to get the Bucs back into many games this season.
Fix the offensive line, establish a dominant running game and the turnovers will drop dramatically and Winston will become the quarterback we all have been hoping to see for five years in Tampa.
Next, we will take a look at why the Bucs should not bring back Jameis Winston and look for another quarterback to lead this team in 2020.
Here is a link to the first article on the options that the Buccaneers have with Jameis Winston.